Food-related diseases affect tens of millions of people and kill thousands each year. A foodborne illness is caused by eating or drinking a contaminated food or beverage. NEHA’s food safety programs are dedicated to educating food safety and environmental health professionals. NEHA helps to inform, educate and improve preparedness, response, and prevention of foodborne diseases within both the regulatory and industry workforce. The food safety products and materials we offer can be used for someone just beginning their career in the food industry, or a professional with many years of experience.
These programs include the following:
- Learning materials and opportunities for local and state food safety and environmental health professionals, school lunch programs, and professional instructors, managers, and employees in the food service industry
- Food safety related workshops, training opportunities, conferences and events
- A Food Safety Instructor directory
- Credentials and Certificates for retail, manufacturing, and regulatory industries
- Food safety courses for Certified Professional Food Managers and Certified Professional Food Handlers
- Access to assessments and reports
Food Safety Credentials and Certifications
- Certified in Food Safety Supplier Audits (CFSSA)
- Registered Environmental Health Specialist/Registered Sanitarian (REHS/RS)
- Certified in Comprehensive Food Safety (CCFS)
- Certified Professional - Food Safety (CP-FS)
- Certified Foodborne Outbreak Investigator (CFOI)
- Certificate programs for HACCP, Food Managers, and Food Handlers
- Epi-Ready Team Training: Foodborne Illness Response Strategies
- NEHA Food Safety Online Training Resources
- Industry – Foodborne Illness Investigation Training and Recall Response (I-FIIT)
- The I-FIIT Workshop is available online for 6 CE
- Foodborne Illness Outbreak Environmental Assessment (FBEA) Certificate Training
- NEHA eLearning
- NEHA Education and Training
Stay up-to-date on the latest trends related to the emerging topic of cannabis and food safety.
Environmental Health Saves Lives, Saves Money, and Protects Our Future
Environmental Health professionals ensure our food is safe by educating, inspecting, and investigating facilities throughout the food supply chain, including farms and manufacturers, restaurants, and grocery stores.
Professional Food Handler Certificate Program
A well-trained and knowledgeable food handler is the backbone of food safety in the retail foodservice setting. NEHA’s Professional Food Handler (PFH) Certificate Course provides these frontline workers access to essential knowledge and an understanding of core food safety practices that they need to carry out their work safely.
The NEHA Professional Food Handler Course is ideal for:
- Preparing for employment in the food industry
- Employee orientation to food safety
- Meeting the requirements for employee training (food handler) by state and/or local jurisdictions
- ANSI accredited
- Based on the 2017 FDA Food Code
- Secure Certificate of Training issued
The Council to Improve Foodborne Outbreak Response (CIFOR) has the Guidelines for Foodborne Disease Outbreak Response and CIFOR Industry Guidelines (for Owners, Operators, and Managers of Food Establishments) available for download.
Food Safety Resources:
- Best Practices for Use of FoodSHIELD During Food and Feed Incidents (pdf)